Making Connections 3rd Edition
- Hardcover563 pages full colour
Suitable for Grade 9 or 10 Canadian geography in any province.
Geography is much more than ac collection of facts about where things are located and why they are there. Most importantly, it is a subject that connects physical and social perspectives to the study of people, places and environments. Through the use of Making Connections: Canada's Geography, you will have an opportunity to extend your ability to see Canada and the world as a geographer does.
In particular you will:
- Learn about the physical, economic, cultural, political and envionmental systems of Canada and how they interact with each other.
- Examine the relationships between people and the urban, cultural, and economic environments within which they live.
- Study the connections that exist between Canada and the rest of the world.
- Consider how constant change affects Canada and the wrold and how change presents us with both challenges and opportunities.
- Learn how to make more informed judgments about the issues that face us as Canadians.
- Improve your ability to use the 'toolbox' that supports the geographer, such as the Internet, satellite imagery, geography information systems (GIS) and the Global Positioning System (GPS)Suitable for Grade 9 or 10 Canadian geography in any province. Trillium approved for Ontario schools.
Student Links may be helpful. Note: Many of the links are older and no longer functional.
Table of Contents
Unit 1 - Canadian Connections: An Overview
Chapter 1 - Exploring Canada: A Study in Connection
Unit 2 - Methods of Geographic Inquiry
Chapter 2 - Maps: The Geographer's Basic Tools
Chapter 3 - Locating Places on a Map
Chapter 4 - Using Map Scales
Chapter 5 - A Revolution in Geography: GIS
Chapter 6 - Aerial Photos: A View from Above
Chapter 7 - Satellite Imagery: The View from Space
Chapter 8 - Graph It!
Chapter 10 - Cruising the Information Superhighway
Culminating Activity - Geographic Places: More Than Dots on a Map!
Unit 3 - Physical Connections: Canada's Ecozones
Chapter 11 - Canada's Geologic History
Chapter 12 - Canada's Landform Connections
Chapter 13 - Canada's Climate Connections
Chapter 14 - Canada's Soil and Natural Vegetation Connections
Chapter 15 - Making the Connections: Canada's Ecozones
Culminating Activity - Destination: Canada!
Unit 4 - Cultural Connections
Chapter 16 - An Introduction to the Study of Population
Chapter 17 - Canada's Aboriginal Population in the 21st Century
Chapter 18 - Immigratoin: A Canadian Tradition
Chapter 19 - Rural Settlement Patterns
Chapter 20 - Urban Settlement Patterns
Chapter 21 - Urban Land Use
Culminating Activity - Canadian Communities of Today and Tomorrow
Unit 5 - Economic Connections
Chapter 22 - Sectors of Canada's Economy
Chapter 23 - Fishing: An Industry in Crisis
Chapter 24 - The Business of Farming
Chapter 25 - Forest Resources and Their Uses
Chapter 26 - Canada's Mineral Wealth
Chapter 27 - Energy: Powering Our Nation
Chapter 28 - Location Factors and Manufacturing
Chapter 29 - Services: Where the Jobs Are
Chapter 30 - Transportation: Canada's Circulatory System
Chapter 31 - Communications: Canada's Nervous System
Culminating Activity - Locating a New Business
Unit 6 - Canada's Global Connections
Chapter 32 - Canada and the World Economy
Chapter 33 - Canada's International Relationships
Chapter 34 - Foreign Trade: The Foundation of Canada's Economy
Chapter 35 - Our Cultural Connections with the United States
Culminating Activity - Beyond our Borders
Other Items You Might Be Interested In
Request More Information